Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return To Milestones Vol 1 No 2
Early 1600s - The Monongahela people, inhabitants of the Beaver and Ohio Valleys for many centuries, disappear without a trace.
1609 London Company patent revised to include land "from sea to sea, west and northwest", basis of Virginia's later claim to Ohio Country (and southside Beaver County).
1681 Charles 11 granted charter to William Penn, to include land extending westward five degrees of longitude from the Delaware River, basis of Pennsylvania's claim to future Beaver County.
1694 Arnout Viele, a Dutch trader, accompanied by a band of Shawnee, explored the Ohio Valley; First colonial to visit future Beaver County.
1725 (approximately) Delawares migrated to Beaver Valley; Settled at Sawkunk (Beaver).
1727 French agent Joncaire sent to Ohio Country to promote French interests.
1728 Shawnee nation joined Delawares in Big Beaver villages.
1748 Conrad Weiser, Pennsylvania agent, conferred with Indians at Logstown.
1748 Ohio Company grant approved by king, opening Ohio Country to settlement by Virginians.
1748 George Croghan, British Indian agent, established trading post at Sawkunk (Beaver).
1749 Louis Blainville deCeleron passed down Allegheny and Ohio Rivers, burying lead plates at stream mouths.
1750 Cumberland County erected, including future Beaver County (Southside).
1752 Christopher Gist, Ohio Company agent, made treaty at Logstown.
1753 George Washington, agent of Virginia, conferred at Logstown with Shingiss. Amockwi, and Monacatootha, "Great Arrow"; Travelled to Fort LeBoeuf with the "Half-King", Tanacharison and Guyasuta.
1754 Pennsylvania - Virginia border controversy began.
1757 Jesuit Father Claude Francis Virot founded Catholic Mission at Sawkunk.
1758 Christian Frederick Post sent by Pennsylvania authorities to the Ohio Indians.
1758 Logstown and Sawkunk deserted following of abandonment of Fort Duquesne by the French.
1762 Moravian Missionary John Heckewelder confers with Koquethagacton, "White Eyes" at the mouth of the Beaver.
1763 Proclamation of 1763 placed land north of the Ohio and west of the Alleghenies in Province of Quebec.
1764 Col. Henry Bouquet passed through Logstown en route to battle with Indians in Ohio; Encamped along Tuscarawas Trail (now Industry Borough).
1768 Purchase of 1768 made by Pennsylvania Proprietary government from the Indians at Fort Stanwix (N.Y.);Included southside Beaver County.
1769 (or earlier) Alexander McKee lived opposite Logstown (present-day Aliquippa); Became a renegade during the Revolution.
1770 George Washington travelled through on Ohio River.
1770 Moravian mission established at Frienclenstadt (now Moravia, Lawrence County) by David Zeisberger.
1771 Bedford County erected; Included future southside Beaver County in Pitt Township.
1771 John Gibson settled in present-day Aliquippa, opposite Logstown. He cleared and fenced 30 acres of ground. Col. Gibson went on to a brilliant military career in the Revolution.
1772 Missionary David McClure visited Friedenstadt; Wrote diary.
1772 Levi Dungan family settled in present-day Hanover Township. Fortified cabin constructed over spring.
1772 or 1773 George Baker family settled in present-dayCenter Township.
1773 Westmoreland County erected; County seat at Hannastown; Included southside of future Beaver County.
1776 George Baker family captured by Indians and taken to Detroit.
1776 Thomas Moore family settled in present-day Green Township.
1776 Virginia County of Yohogania, District of West Augusta, erected (included south side, Beaver Co.) County seat at Fort Dunmore (Pittsburgh).
1778 Gen. Edward Hand marched through Beaver Valley on the "Squaw Campaign".
1778 Fort McIntosh built, under command of Gen. Lachlan McIntosh.
1778 Military road to Fort McIntosh built on southside (later called Brodhead's Road).
1778 or 1779 David Kerr family settled at head of Kings Creek (Hanover Township).
1779 Pennsylvania - Virginia boundary resolved in Baltimore and confirmed by Pennsylvania.
1780 Final agreement on western boundary by both states.
1780 Sam Brady's rescue of Jennie Stupes and child.
1780 Indian massacre on Raccoon Creek. Foulkes family attacked at sugar camp at Reardon's Run.
1781 Washington County erected; Included southside of future Beaver County.
1781 Andrew Poe's battle with the Indians on the Ohio River bank.
1782 George McElhaney, Indian scout, settled in present-day Independence Township.
1784 Mill Creek Presbyterian Church founded (Greene Township).
1784 Treaty at Fort Stanwix. Pennsylvania purchased land from Six Nations (including northside of Beaver County).
1785 Depreciation Lands surveyed (in future Beaver County).
1785 James Moore, earliest settler on east side, established ferry (in present-day Rochester Township).
1785 Western boundary of Pennsylvania (and future Beaver County) surveyed. This ended the proposal for a new state west of the mountains.
1785 Treaty of Fort McIntosh, January 21; Lands purchased from Delawares and Wyandots; White prisoners released at the fort.
1787 Montmorin surveyed by Isaac Melchoir (now Harmony Township). Town never developed.
1788 Allegheny County erected; Included northside of future Beaver County, and in 1789 part of southside.
1788 Fort McIntosh demolished. Big Beaver Blockhouse built (present-day New Brighton).
1789 White's Grist Mill founded on Raccoon Creek (now Hanover Township).
1790 Service United Presbyterian Church founded.
1790 First King's Creek United Presbyterian Church founded in Frankfort.
1790 Mary Colvin and baby murdered (present-day Hanover Township); Last Indian atrocity in area to become Beaver County.
1791 Murder of Indian party at Big Beaver Blockhouse Trading Post by Capt. Sam Brady and his men.
1792 First settlement on northside of Ohio; Nicholas Dawson, Neal McLaughlin, William Foulkes and William Williams.
1792 Beavertown surveyed by Daniel Leet. (Called "Mackintosh" in some accounts)
1792 Gen. Anthony Wayne established camp at Legionville (now Harmony Township).
1793- Wayne's Army leaves on western campaign which ended at Maumee River battle ("Fallen Timbers"), 1794.
1793 Big Beaver Blockhouse abandoned.
1793 First sale of lots in Beaver Reserve Tract.
1794 Eudolpha Hall, the Theological Seminary at Service founded by Dr. John Anderson.
1794 Whiskey Rebellion; Involved farmers from area.
1795 Peace Treaty at Fort Greenville allowed settlement of lands north of Ohio River.
1796 "Old Stone" Methodist Church founded (now Chippewa Township).
1797 Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church founded (now Darlington).
1797 Foulkes Mill established on Little Beaver Creek; Later Watts Mill (in present-day South Beaver Township).
1798 New Salem Presbyterian Church founded (now Ohioville Borough).
1800 Beaver County erected, March 12.
(Authorities differ on many dates)