Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return To Milestones
Frisco is hard to describe. When it actually began and how far it actually extends are vague.
A sign near the Frisco Bridge says that it began in 1852. That might mark some anniversary, but it doesn't mark the beginning of the residential community we know today.
The area that is known as the Frisco area today actually encompasses a number of different lot plans, and they didn't begin until the railroad arrived shortly before 1880. Frisco Post Office wasn't established until 1882. It was established through the efforts of Simon P. Fisher, the first postmaster, who was appointed Dec. 20, 1882. Fisher Hotel at the railroad tracks and the road to Zelienople.
Whatever community existed before the railroad arrived was around the grist mill that was variously operated by many people, but by the Hazen family much of the time. The 1876 map of Franklin Twp. shows four buildings in a cluster near the mill property. Simon P. Fisher owned a large residence on a 27-acre tract on what is now the Ellwood-Zelienople Rd. in today's Frisco on that map.
Fisher bought 18 acres from John McCaskey April 3, 1875. Prior to that, on Dec. 17, 1866, he had purchased 5.18 acres and .89 acres from Eunice McCaskey.
When the railroad arrived Robert C. Aiken joined Fisher in taking advantage of that new development. Fisher erected a hotel and Aiken sold lots.
Aiken's lots were in "North Sewickley" on a 101 acre tract he had purchased from John McCaskey Feb. 3, 1865. Between 1880 and 1892 he sold at least 16 lots in his village.
Further development followed rapidly after Ellwood City arrived in 1890.
Simon Fisher laid out a plan of lots April 1, 1892, along Fisher Ave. The plan included 60 lots.
J.N. McBride laid out a plan of lots in the mill area along the creek on tracts of 22.625 acres and 3.54 acres he purchased from E.J. Hazen May 29, 1895.
Aiken expanded his plan of lots.
Then came another development that further enhanced the Frisco area as a residential community. The Pittsburgh, Harmony, Butler & New Castle Railway, more commonly known as the Harmony Line, arrived. It cut right through the area and the railway line's sister company, the North Pittsburgh Realty Co., laid out two plans of lots - the North Sewickley Plan of lots in October, 1910, and the Frisco Plan of Lots in April, 1911.
E.S. Hazen then laid out a plan of lots between the railroad and the creek in May 1911.
Fred Twentier laid out a plan of lots in April, 1917, at North Sewickley Stop on the Harmony Line.
The expansion at the tube mill during World War I and the automobile brought more new developments.
William R. Thompson laid out his Rock Dell plan of lots north of Frisco and straddling Lawrence and Beaver counties in May, 1916.
A.P. Hazen laid out his first plan of lots along the north side of the Ellwood-Zelienople Rd. in April, 1919, and a second plan along Harmony Ave., connecting with Fisher Ave. the same month.
The Knox Plan, just north of the Ellwood-Zelienople Rd., the largest of all the land developments in the area, was laid out by C.A. Martin and W.R. Thompson in May, 1923. This plan with a small number of lots in Lawrence County had 315 lots. It extended to the south side of Paul St.
About the same time A.O. Dutterer laid out a plan of lots across from the A.P. Hazen plan on the south side of the Ellwood-Zelienople Rd. The first lots in his plan, dated August, 1925, at the Beaver County Courthouse, were sold in 1923.