Click Here to Return to Index
Click Here to Return to Milestones
The corner stone for the St. Stanislaus Church was laid June 26, 1927. Rev. J. Gorzynski was the main speaker. The church was of steel construction and of the Old Spanish Mission style. The tower is 80 feet' high and can be seen all over the town of Ambridge. Father Labiyewski came to Ambridge in 1914 and there was no parish to speak of. Father Labiyewski bought seven lots November 14,1914 and built the first church. The congregation grew and by 1927 there were over 600 pupils in the school room, and they had to use the church building. The Felician sisters were the teachers. W. Ward Williams was the architect. He was a designer of many of the fine buildings that stand in Ambridge. Fourteen priests participated in the impressive ceremony witnessed by thousands of people. A parade headed by the Boro police was the event of the day. In the corner stone was a financial statement from the time of organization 1914 to 1927. A 10th anniversary book, a copy of the Ambridge News Herald, American and Polish silk flags, American and Polish coins. A list of names of all parishoners and the amount they donated to the building fund. At that time it was the largest Roman Catholic Church in Beaver County. It fronts on Beaver Road seventy feet and extends back 140 feet. The seating capacity is 800 and the cost of construction was $150,000. Moving pictures were taken of the event and were to be used in Pittsburgh publicity.